You need to start baking your Irish Christmas Cake Today!
There is nothing more rewarding than baking your own Christmas cake and serving it to loved ones on Christmas Day.
We have a couple of links to favorite cake recipes but see a couple of tips below to create the perfect traditional Irish Christmas Cake.
- Leave yourself at least 2 weeks before Christmas to make your cake.
- Try and soak the fruit in alcohol for 2/3 days for maximum moisture and flavor.
- Add a splash of ‘Holy Water’ aka ‘Moonshine’ or ‘Poitín’ into the mix along with your whiskey or brandy. This will give your cake the Irish twist. You may have picked a bottle up along your tour of Ireland.
- Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature when putting them together.
- Although the cake is good to go when it comes out of the oven it actually matures with age. Especially when it is drip fed alcohol.
- As an added bonus the baking of the Christmas cake will make your house smell gloriously authentically festive and leave you feeling like a domestic Goddess. This might be a good time to have your neighbours round!
- The Christmas Cake is a traditionally rich and heavy cake. A good trick to lighten up this cake is to leave out the treacle in the recipe.
- Divide your cake mix and make mini Christmas cakes for the perfect Christmas gift.
- Keep it simple.Innovation has no place in the Traditional Christmas Cake recipe.
- Here is a list of a couple of Overland favorite recipes:
Fun Fact about Christmas Cake: The spices and dried fruits in the cake are supposed to represent the exotic eastern spices brought by the three Wise Men to the newborn King!